Published annually, The Southern Quill is the Dixie State University’s literary magazine edited by students. In circulation since 1950, the journal features artwork, poetry, nonfiction, and short stories produced by Dixie State University students and also welcomes material from writers and artists in the surrounding areas (including all of Utah’s counties and Clark county in Nevada). In addition, the editorial staff at The Southern Quill administers the Annie Atkin Tanner Memorial Poetry Award, which is given to DSU students who submit exemplary poems.
- Submissions are open for all sections and will remain open through March 20, 2017.
- We do not accept previously published materials, including publication in any public venue. This includes print and web, regardless of circulation.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted; however, if your work is accepted elsewhere while still under consideration at The Southern Quill, let us know, so we may withdraw that specific work.
- If you need to withdraw a single poem from consideration, please notify us via email rather than using the Submittable withdraw feature, unless you wish to withdraw your entire submission.
- In lieu of a cover letter, please submit a short biographical note of 50 to 75 words to include in our publication should we accept your work.
- Upon publication, all rights will revert back to the author.
Thank you for your interest. We look forward to reading your work.
Additional Contributors Copies can be purchased at the discounted rate of $3.50.
Southern Quill T-Shirts are available in a variety of colors and sizes for $12.00. Please go to our Facebook page for images of this year's shirt.
The Southern Quill is a not-for-profit journal produced by the students at Dixie State University.
With your $5 donation, you will receive a back issue of the journal, a bumper sticker, and our utmost gratitude.
All purchases will be shipped to the address you provide via USPS. Tax and shipping is included in all purchase prices.
Thank you for your support!