The Southern Quill is an undergraduate literary journal edited by students at Dixie State University. Published annually since 1951, our journal has been in circulation for more than half a century. We welcome exceptional and polished submissions of poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction, and visual arts from writers and artists residing in Utah and Clark County, Nevada.
- We do not accept previously published work, regardless of format or circulation.
- We accept simultaneous submissions so long as you withdraw your submission if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- Submitters between the ages of 12-17 must submit all categories of work to the Young Adult section.
- Please include a short biography of 50 to 100 words with your submission. We will include it in our publication should we accept your work.
- Upon publication, all rights will revert back to the author.
- SQ contributors will receive two copies of the issue in which their work appears as compensation.
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to read your work, we look forward to it.
Our current issue (Spring 2019) is on sale for $12.50, which includes shipping.
Additional Contributors Copies can be purchased at the discounted rate of $7.50, which includes shipping.
Southern Quill T-Shirts are available in a variety of colors and sizes for $12.00. Please go to our Facebook page for images of this year's shirt.
The Southern Quill is a not-for-profit journal produced by the students at Dixie State University.
With your $5 donation, you will receive a back issue of the journal, a bumper sticker, and our utmost gratitude.
All purchases will be shipped to the address you provide via USPS. Tax and shipping is included in all purchase prices.
Thank you for your support!